As an Australian I have been following news related to your recent alleged indiscretions, and I have to say, I am somewhat puzzled. What in blazes were you thinking when you uttered your alleged racist remarks?
All my life whenever I see Australian reports about you, you are always referred to as 'the Australian Actor, Mel Gibson', but I note that recently the Australian press has been referring to you as the American Actor who was raised in Australia. It seems that not only are you being punished by Hollywood, but even the Australians are embarrassed by you. (By the Way I loved your performance in the movie 'Tim'.)
I saw the article entitled: Mel Gibson not in Toronto photo exhibit
- A photograph of Hollywood actor Mel Gibson was left out of a celebrity exhibition at the Toronto International Film Festival because of the actor's outburst against Jews in Malibu last month.
- "We think what he did was totally inappropriate."
Naturally I feel a little sad for you, for your sins have found you out, and you are now being punished. And rightly so I might add. My God Man! What were you thinking? Your behaviour really was 'inappropriate'. And what about that film you made about the Passion of Christ? What were you thinking?
Don't you know that 21st century life is about being seen to do and say 'what is appropriate'. Frankly, I think it was totally irresponsible of you to make that film showing the Jews as responsible for the Death of Jesus. That was totally irresponsible of you and totally inappropriate. It would have been more appropriate to have portrayed the 'Picts' or the 'Celts' or even the 'Huns', as his Nemesis. To portray the Jews as his enemy was totally inappropriate.
Now I do understand that you grew up in Australia, and are therefore probably far too open, frank and honest for your own good, but being a Hollywood Actor should have taught you that life is not about 'truth' but 'acting'.
OK, so maybe you resent Jews. Well you are entitled to those feelings, only so long as you keep them hidden. You should never have revealed what you truly think and feel, and now you must suffer the punishment being meted out by that bastion of truth, honesty and reality - Hollywood.
This all being said, I nevertheless need your help to understand something, and I figure that you are probably the only person with the inside 'nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more', that can help me understand.
Why are 'you' in particular being crucified? There are heaps of Hollywood types, not to mention Churches in America, that actively support the Hamas and Hezbollah Anti-Israel agenda, but they don't seem to be getting crucified.
I'm sort of leaning toward believing that as long as a person's Anti-Jewish statements are specifically 'Anti-Israel', that is to say, as opposing Israeli Politics, then it is OK to say what you like. I mean, you have these Christian religious types having meetings with Hezbollah (who make no bones about their desire to destroy Israel), coming out and saying that everyone should stop investing in Israel, and should join in protests against Israel etc.
The United Nations removed Israel from its' map just to make certain Muslims happy, the Israeli version of the Red Cross is not allowed to show the Star of David, the Media have been producing fake photographs to lie about the recent war, but despite all this, Israel (Those bloody Jews), are seen as the enemy of the freedom and democracy, and the cause of all the sufferings in the Middle East.
That last point I find quite funny really, because it has become obvious in the last few weeks that the Palestinians have stopped blaming Israel for all their misfortunes and have placed the blame fairly and squarely on the shoulders of Palestinian military groups, and political infighting and corruption.
But be that as it may, how come you are being crucified for expressing resentment or dislike for Jews, whilst public churches, unions and other groups, can get away scot free, given all their anti-Israel (read Anti-Jewish) rhetoric.
Actually, I was reading a report the other day on the internet, which said that if people are going to call for boycotts on Israeli Products, that they should not be hypocrites about it, and call for a complete and utter ban on all Israeli products, research and technology.
The article was called: Boycott Israel? Do it Properly, written by Ed Weiss on December 31, 2004. The article is prefaced with a paragraph saying:
- Now that doing economic damage to Israel is the moral fashion, with European groups organizing boycotts, the Presbyterian Church voting to "selectively" divest from companies doing business in Israel and the Episcopal Church suggesting it may follow suit, the following article is a welcome reminder of the damage the boycotters, if they were -- perish the thought -- consistent, would do to themselves.)
He then provides a list of things which people ought to boycott. He says that Israeli contributions to life include:
- Medications made by Abic or Teva.
- Tests for Multiple Sclerosis.
- Devices to help restore the use of paralyzed hands.
- A device called the Child Hood.
- Research on brain disorders such as depression and Alzheimer's disease.
- Smallpox virus vaccine
- Elimination of the physical manifestations of Parkinson's disease
- ExAblate 2000 System which offers a non-invasive alternative to surgery
- A five year flu vaccine
- Pentium NMX Chip technology
- Cell phone technology
- Israel's Netline Communications Technologies (security)
- Israel has the highest number of start-up companies per capita and in absolute terms, the highest number, except for the U.S.
- Israel has the highest concentration of hi-tech companies outside of Silicon Valley.
- Israel is the largest immigrant absorbing nation on earth. These immigrants come in search of democracy, religious freedom or expression, economic opportunity, and quality of life.
- Believe it or not, Israel is the only country in the world which had a net gain in the number of trees last year.
I'm pretty sure that not many of those who stand against Israel would cease from benefiting from Israeli products, technologies and research. I guess that would make them hypocrites. And of course, unlike you, they not only make their Anti-Jewish statements while stone cold sober, but hide their personal racist feelings behind a 'facade of politics'.
You may be a bit stupid mate, and there may be extenuating circumstances, and certainly your alleged statements were not 'honourable', but at least you aren't a hypocrite, and you can apparently see the error of your ways and repent. So I wish you well, and hope you will write back to me on the question about 'why are you in particular being crucified'.
Of course, maybe the reason is just staring me in the face. Hollywood is just a place of farce and fiction after all.
Oh Well! Avagudweegend!
King's Calendar Social Commentaries may be found at: http://www.kingscalendar.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?action=viewnews&id=331
R.P.BenDedek is the pseudonym of the Author of 'The King's Calendar: The Secret of Qumran' (www.kingscalendar.com), and is a guest columnist at Magic City Morning Star News. An Australian, he currently teaches Conversational English in China.
'The Secret of Qumran' Academic Articles at'KingsCalendar Com' Publishing Co.
"The King's Calendar" is a chronological study of the historical books of the Bible (Kings and Chronicles), Josephus, Seder Olam Rabbah, and the (Essene) Damascus Document of The Dead Sea Scrolls.