WASHINGTON, DC -- Congressman Mike Michaud, Congresswoman Chellie Pingree, and Senator Angus King announced the deadline has been extended for a screening panel set up to fill an upcoming judgeship vacancy on the United States District Court, District of Maine.
The deadline for candidates to submit application materials for consideration by the screening panel has been extended to Friday March 1, 2013 at 5 PM. All interested candidates should submit a cover letter highlighting qualifications, a resume, and 3 letters of recommendation to email@example.com.
The panel was formed to assess candidates to fill the vacancy that will be created when the Honorable George Z. Singal takes senior status on July 31, 2013. Michaud, Pingree and King decided to extend the deadline after technical problems led to some members of the legal community in Maine not receiving sufficient notification of the judicial vacancy and the formation of the screening panel.
The screening panel will be chaired by Peter J. DeTroy of Norman, Hanson & DeTroy in Portland. The 11 other members of the panel can be found below:
- Michael T. Bigos -- Attorney at Berman & Simmons in Lewiston
- Joseph Baiungo -- Attorney in Belfast
- James Case -- Attorney at McTeague Higbee in Topsham
- Jack Comart -- Litigation Director for Maine Equal Justice Partners in Augusta
- Phyllis Gardiner -- Assistant Attorney General in Augusta
- Bruce Gerrity -- Attorney at Preti Flaherty in Augusta
- James "Red" MacMichael -- retired Judge from Skowhegan
- Thimi Mina -- Attorney at McCloskey, Mina and Cunniff in Portland
- Patricia Peard -- Attorney at Bernstein Shur Sawyer Nelson in Portland
- Dawn Pelletier -- Attorney at Pelletier Faircloth in Bangor
- Deirdre M. Smith -- Professor of Law and Director of the Cumberland Legal Aid Clinic at UMaine Law in Portland