AUGUSTA -- The Maine Elks Association (MEA) announces the winners of the Elks Most Valuable Student Scholarships (MVS) for 2007. Seven High School Seniors from across the State of Maine were awarded four-year scholarships of $1000 each year, made possible through the Elks National Foundation (ENF). These students also qualified to compete at the national level, with the potential of receiving a four-year scholarship of $60,000.
Receiving the MVS $1000 Four-Year Scholarships are:
- Molly M. Lincoln - Sponsored by the Brunswick Elks Lodge # 2043
- Kenneth M. Maher - Sponsored by the Lewiston Elks Lodge #371
- Sindbad S. Fennimore - Sponsored by the Rockland Elks Lodge #1008
- Nicolas J. Guerrette - Sponsored by the Brunswick Elks Lodge #2043
- Ashley E. Zibura - Sponsored by the Augusta Elks Lodge #964
- Nicholas L. Hubbard - Sponsored by the Bangor Elks Lodge #244
- Kaitlynn M. Saldanha - Sponsored by the Portland Elks Lodge #188
The Dr. Leonard Bristol and Virginia Bristol Awards for the top male and female applicants were announced. The winners were Kenneth M. Maher and Molly M. Lincoln.
In addition to the state winners, several district winners were also announced. These winners will each receive $2000 1-year scholarships. They are:
- Kassie Lovely - Presque Isle Elks Lodge #1954
- Drew Farrar - Bangor Elks Lodge #244
- Elizabeth Lightner - Augusta Elks Lodge #964
- Jason Lui - Augusta Elks Lodge #964
- Katherine Bernier - Brunswick Elks Lodge #2043
- Matthew Ford - Rockland Elks Lodge #1008
In addition, the State Association will distribute at total of $18,000 dollars, or $900 to each Lodge winner. The following is a list of Lodge winners:
- Jennifer Babb - Augusta Elks Lodge #964
- Michael Grethle - Bath Elks Lodge #934
- Charles Skold - Brunswick Elks Lodge #2043
- Deanna Daigle - Greater Ellsworth Elks Lodge #2743
- Gwynne Hunter - Lewiston Elks Lodge #371
- Crystal Stack - Portland Elks Lodge #188
- Katherine Messing - Rockland Elks Lodge #1008
- Cameron Stuart - Sanford Elks Lodge #1470
- Kassandre Moulton - Skowhegan-Madison Elks Lodge #2531
- Amy Leung - York Elks Lodge #2788
- Catherine Zielinski - Bangor Elks Lodge #244
- Mathew Davis - Biddeford-Saco Elks Lodge #1597
- Joshua Wheelock - Gardiner Elks Lodge #1293
- Curtis Libby - Houlton Elks Lodge #835
- Jayme Cram - Millinocket Elks Lodge #1521
- Briana White - Presque Isle Elks Lodge #1954
- Kortnee Hill - Rumford Elks Lodge #862
- Kendra Nash - Sebasticook Valley Elks Lodge #2713
- Lydia Kilian - Waterville Elks Lodge #905
- Lisa Bartuski - Old Town Elks Lodge #1287
This year, the Maine Elks Association and its 22 member Lodges awarded over $143,000 in scholarships to deserving students from across the State of Maine. Many of these scholarships are funded through the Elks National Foundation; the charitable arm of the Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks.
Since 1931, the B.P.O. Elks have awarded scholarships to deserving young men and women across the country. The Elks nationwide annually award more than $3.4 Million Dollars in scholarships. Scholarships are made available through several programs including the MVS Scholarship program, BSA Eagle Scout Scholarships, Girl Scout Gold Award Scholarships, Legacy Scholarships available to children and grandchildren of Elks, as well as Emergency Education Funding Grants.
The Maine Elks Association is a non-profit organization consisting of 22 Lodges and 12,000 members in the State of Maine. The association provides support programs in areas such as Americanism, Scholarships, Drug Awareness, Hoop Shoot, Soccer Shoot, and Veterans/National Service. For more information on Elk Scholarships, or the Elks and their programs, visit maineelks.org or visit your local Elks Lodge.