AUGUSTA -- The Maine Elks Association (MEA) announces the winners of the Elks Most Valuable Student Scholarships (MVS) for 2005. Seven High School Seniors from across the State of Maine were awarded four-year scholarships of $1000 each year, made possible through the Elks National Foundation (ENF). These students also qualified to compete at the national level, with the potential of receiving a four-year scholarship of $60,000.
Receiving the MVS $1000 Four-Year Scholarships are:
- Michelle A. Martin-Sponsored by the Houlton Elks Lodge #835
- Racquel M. Skold-Sponsored by the Brunswick Elks Lodge #2043
- Chelsae Laweryson-Sponsored by the Skowhegan-Madison Elks Lodge #2531
- Benjamin H. Weissman-Sponsored by the Bangor Elks Lodge #244
- Bianca Cloutier-Sponsored by the Lewiston Elks Lodge #371
- Samuel S. Dyar-Sponsored by the Farmington Elks Lodge #2430
- John R. Chisholm-Sponsored by the Brunswick Elks Lodge #2043
In addition to the state winners, several district winners were also announced. These winners will each receive $2000 1-year scholarships. They are:
- Naomi L. Smith-Sponsored by the Presque Isle Elks Lodge #1954
- Christopher Carlin-Sponsored by the Presque Isle Elks Lodge #1954
- Patrick A. Harris-Sponsored by the Rumford Elks Lodge #862
- Amy Gaidis -Sponsored by the Rumford Elks Lodge #862
- Andrew Marston-Sponsored by the Portland Elks Lodge
- Amanda Rumpf-Sponsored by the Biddeford-Saco Elks Lodge #1597
In addition, 28 scholarships in the amount of $900 will be given by the Maine Elks Association, and awarded to high school seniors from across the state. This year, approximately 200 students competed for the MVS scholarships.
This year, the Maine Elks Association and its 22 member Lodges will be awarding over $125,000 in scholarships to deserving students from across the State of Maine. Many of these scholarships are funded through the benevolence of the Elks National Foundation; the charitable arm of the Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks.
Since 1931, the B.P.O. Elks have awarded scholarships to deserving young men and women across the country. The Elks nationwide annually award more than $3.4 Million Dollars in scholarships. Scholarships are made available through several programs including the MVS Scholarship program, BSA Eagle Scout Scholarships, Girl Scout Gold Award Scholarships, Legacy Scholarships available to children and grandchildren of Elks, as well as Emergency Education Funding Grants.