From Magic City Morning Star

IRS News
Maine IRS Assistance Centers Open Saturday, April 12 to provide Free Help for Certain Taxpayers, Retirees and Disabled Vets
By Peggy Riley
Apr 9, 2008 - 11:58:17 AM

AUGUSTA -- With the April 15 tax filing deadline quickly approaching, the Internal Revenue Service today reminded taxpayers that free help is available and announced extended hours at four Maine locations.

On Saturday, April 12, the Taxpayer Assistance Centers in Maine will have special hours from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. They will also have extended hours during the week. These sites will offer free tax preparation and filing for individuals and families whose income is $40,000 or less and will also help people filing solely to claim the economic stimulus payment and Assistance.

Help will be available at the following IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers:

  • Augusta - 68 Sewall Street
  • Bangor - 324 Harlow Street
  • Lewiston - 217 Main Street
  • South Portland - 220 Maine Mall Road

"We expect a record number of tax returns because of the stimulus payments. If you can, we urge you to avoid the rush. File now, file electronically and use direct deposit to receive a speedy refund and stimulus payment. If you need assistance, free help is available," said Peggy Riley, IRS Spokesperson for New England.

"Timely filing of the 2007 income tax return is particularly important this year because of the economic stimulus payments," said Riley.  "Eligible Americans must file a tax return in order to receive economic stimulus payments of up to $600 ($1,200 married filing jointly). There is another $300 payment for each qualifying child younger than 17," Riley added.

Eligible taxpayers will qualify for their stimulus payment simply by filing their 2007 tax return, as they would normally do.

However, people who do not have a tax filing requirement but who have at least $3,000 in income from any combination of earned income, nontaxable combat pay and certain benefits from Social Security, Veterans Affairs and Railroad Retirement must file a 2007 income tax return in order to receive an economic stimulus payment. They may be eligible for the minimum amount of $300 ($600 for married couples) plus the $300 per qualifying child payment.

People filing only to receive the economic stimulus payment do not have to file by April 15 and they do not have to file a Form 4868 for an extension.  However, they do need to file Form 1040A by October 15 to receive the payment in 2008. Taxpayers normally required to file who cannot meet the April 15 deadline should file a Form 4868 to obtain an extension to file until October 15.

© Copyright 2002-2013 by Magic City Morning Star