Magic City Morning Star

Advertising | RSS Feed | About Us 

Last Updated: Sep 10, 2014 - 2:08:00 AM 

An eclectic mix of news and information
Staff Login
Donate towards our web hosting bill!

Front Page 
  -- Local
  -- State
  -- National
  -- IRS News
  -- Win at Work
  -- History
  Tech Notes
  -- Comics
  -- R.P. BenDedek
  -- Kenneth Tellis
  -- M Stevens-David
  -- Down the Road
  Today in History
  -- Editor's Desk
  -- Guest Column
  -- Scheme of Things
  -- Michael Devolin
  -- Tom DeWeese
  -- Ed Feulner
  -- Jim Kouri
  -- Julie Smithson
  -- J. Grant Swank
  -- Doug Wrenn
  Agenda 21
  Book Reviews
  -- Old Embers

Web Directory Reviews
WDR Directory of Directories
Restore The Republic - The Home of the Freedom Movement!

IRS News

IRS Tips for After April 15
By Peggy Riley
Apr 28, 2009 - 10:53:45 AM

Email this article
 Printer friendly page

AUGUSTA, MAINE -- Tax day has come and gone for most people, but your dealings with taxes may not be done. IRS spokesperson Peggy Riley offers these tips for handling some typical after-tax-day issues:

  1. Didn't file by April 15? If you failed to file a 2008 tax return by the deadline, it's not too late. But if you owe taxes with your return, it's likely you'll be charged interest and penalties on anything not paid by April 15, along with a late-filing penalty. It's too late to request an extension of time to file, so the important thing is to file your return as soon as possible. To reduce the penalties and interest, pay as much as you can with the return. If you're due a refund and are filing late, you probably won't be penalized, but you could lose the refund if you don't claim it within 3 years.
  2. Want to check the status of your refund? Visit and click on "Where's My Refund?" You'll need to input the primary Social Security Number on your 2008 return, your filing status (Single, Married Filing Jointly, etc.) and the exact amount of refund you expect. If you don't have Internet access call 1-800-829-1954 for 24/7 automated refund information.
  3. Don't remember the amount of your economic stimulus payment? If you're completing your 2008 tax return now, you'll need to know how much stimulus payment you received last year. Entering the correct amount is important because this determines your eligibility for the Recovery Rebate Credit. To find out how much your stimulus payment was last year, visit and use the online tool "How Much Was My 2008 Stimulus Payment?" or call the IRS toll-free at 1-866-234-2942. You'll need to answer 3 security questions from your 2007 tax return: (1) the primary Social Security Number, (2) the filing status and (3) the number of exemptions claimed.
  4. Not happy with the amount of your tax refund? Fix it now for next year by adjusting the amount you pay in. If you're an employee, use the IRS's online Withholding Calculator to figure the correct status and number of allowances. Then adjust your withholding by filling out a new Form W-4 with your personnel office. If you're self-employed, adjust your estimated tax payments. And if you're not making estimated tax payments, you can start on June 15, the next due date, using Form 1040-ES. Visit for details.
  5. Need an installment agreement? If you owe the IRS $25,000 or less and can't pay it all, visit to apply online for an installment agreement. If you can pay your taxes in full within 120 days, there is no set-up fee. The $105 set-up fee drops to $52 if you make your payments via automatic debit. Lower-income applicants may qualify for a reduced fee of $43. If you don't have Web access, call 1-800-829-1040 to set up an IRS payment plan.
  6. Want to e-file your tax return now? E-filing is still available through Oct. 15, the filing deadline for those who requested an extension by April 15. But even if you didn't file an extension, you can still e-file your return. Use the tax software you bought, or if your 2008 adjusted gross income was not over $56,000, use the IRS Free File program. CAUTION: To avoid tax scams or unnecessary fees, access Free File only through
  7. Realized you need to fix an error on your return? The IRS will usually correct math errors and may even accept returns with certain forms or schedules left off. But if, for example, you forgot to include reportable income or a deduction or credit, you can file a Form 1040X to amend your return. The form is available at or by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM. Be sure to wait until your original return has processed before trying to amend it. Generally, you have 3 years to amend a tax return. NOTE: For those who qualify, an amended return can be used to claim the 2009 First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit, worth up to $8,000, if you purchase a home by Nov. 30, 2009, and have already filed your 2008 tax return.
  8. Got an e-mail from the IRS? Beware! The IRS will never contact you about your taxes via e-mail. If you get an e-mail that appears to be from the IRS about your refund or directing you to a Web site, it's probably an attempt by scammers to steal your private information. Don't click on any links in the message – forward the fake e-mail to using the instructions at
  9. Need help with a tax problem? If you encounter a federal tax problem, contact the IRS immediately. Waiting can cost you time and money. If you get a notice from the IRS, call the phone number on the notice for help. Or call the general IRS help line toll-free at 1-800-829-1040. If you've tried the normal IRS channels and the problem still isn't resolved, contact the Taxpayer Advocate Service toll-free at 1-877-777-4778 for free assistance.

© Copyright 2002-2014 by Magic City Morning Star

Top of Page

IRS News
Latest Headlines
Reps. Michaud and Denham Introduce "IRS Rulemaking Fairness Act"
Check Withholding to Avoid a Tax Surprise, IRS Advises
Prepare for Hurricanes by Safeguarding Tax Records
IRS Launches Tax Return Preparer Review; Recommendations to Improve Compliance Expected by Year End
IRS Offers Summer Tax Tips

A Dinosaur of Education - a blog by James Fabiano.
Shobe Studios
Wysong Foods - Pets and People Too