The Obama administration would have us believe that the Iranian nuclear program has been frozen by the "agreement" Secretary of State John Kerry "hammered" out with Iranian negotiators, but the subsequent remarks from Iranian leaders tell a different story; they don't appear to believe that they agreed to anything that truly curtails their nuclear ambitions.
At BEST, this agreement seems to have set back the Iranian nuclear program all of 6 weeks. Is it now inevitable that one day we will wake up and turn on the cable news shows and be treated to the news that Iran has nuclear weapons?
The apparent basis for Obama's groveling toward Iran is the newly fashionable mythology that Iranian President Hassan Rouhani is at long-last the "moderate" Iranian leader that we have all been waiting for. This is wishful thinking at best because, even after the Obama administration announced the Iranian nuclear deal, Rouhani emphasized, in direct contradiction to statements by John Kerry, that Iran could and would continue uranium enrichment under the deal.
But that's not even the most fundamental mistake committed by our misguided President, his Secretary of State and those who believe that President Rouhani is the key to peace between Iran and the West.
The basic flaw in the belief that any President of Iran can be the key to peace is the fact that the president has no real authority over the foreign policy and national security issues and policy of his country. That authority resides only with the Supreme Leader, the Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
Rouhani could not even have appeared on the ballot in Iran's sham presidential elections unless the Ayatollah Khamenei approved his candidacy. Make no mistake, Khamenei rules Iran with the iron fist of a dictator. Only Khamenei can make the final decisions -- and no one from the U.S. even has access to Khamenei to negotiate with him. Not that it would do much good. Just take a look at what Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei had to say about nuclear talks between the U.S. and Iran this week:
- "...I am not optimistic about the negotiations and they will lead nowhere..."
Keep in mind, this is not the statement of a disinterested observer. This statement came from the man who has ruled Iran since 1989, a man who believes that America IS The Great Satan. Over the past quarter century of his rule Iran has:
- Been the world's most active state sponsor of terrorism, by giving support to Al Qaeda, Hezbollah, HAMAS and Palestinian Islamic Jihad, among others.
- Armed, trained and sheltered insurgents in Iraq who were battling U.S. GIs, including arming them with sophisticated and deadly Explosively Formed Penetrator (EFP) Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs).
- Armed, trained and sheltered Taliban Jihadis battling U.S. GIs in Afghanistan.
- Enriched uranium in violation of UN Security Council resolutions and the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, to which Iran is a signatory.
These are not the actions of someone interested in negotiating. They are the actions of someone who is waging a war.
If the Ayatollah Khamenei says that negotiations will lead nowhere, the safe bet is to assume that he is stating a self-fulfilling prophecy. If Khamenei doesn't want the negotiations to succeed, they cannot, because no one in Iran can make a deal without his blessing.
Certainly Iran's recent activities do not signal any peaceful intent or willingness to negotiate on the issue of its nuclear program:
- Just last week, the head of Iran's nuclear program stated that Iran reserved the right to continue enriching uranium, even to the 60% level, far higher than is needed for a peaceful nuclear program. He also claimed that Iran had a new centrifuge that could enrich uranium 15 times faster than its old centrifuges.
- Also last week, Iran announced that it had successfully tested two new long-range, surface-to-surface ballistic missiles. Keep in mind that Iran's ballistic missile program is in no way affected by the negotiations.
In making deals with leaders that have long considered America The Great Satan and who have waged a proxy war against us for a generation, the Obama administration is putting our children's future at grave risk. We have a duty to make sure that future generations must not be left with the "gift" of a nuclear-armed Iran.
President of ACT for America
- ACT for America is an issues advocacy organization dedicated to effectively organizing and mobilizing the most powerful grassroots citizen action network in America, a grassroots network committed to informed and coordinated civic action that will lead to public policies that promote America's national security and the defense of American democratic values against the assault of radical Islam.