In his new book, The Broken Heart Diet, author Tom Formaro explores how to channel heartbreak through cooking. Recently featured in the Des Moines Register, Formaro takes readers on an entertaining rollercoaster ride through food and love. After becoming single against your will, can cooking help you get on the pathway back to love? In The Broken Heart Diet, Formaro weaves an intricate tale of inspired by his own journey back to love, and by his own experiences in cooking and working in restaurants.
Fried Zucchini Blossoms
You'll need: 12 zucchini blossoms, 2 beaten eggs, 1 cup all-purpose flour, and 1 cup of grated parmesan (freshly grated preferred)
1. Carefully rinse the blossoms
2. Set up three shallow bowls or plates; one for the eggs, another for the flour, and the third with the grated parmesan
3. Prepare a large fry-pan by pouring in a good amount of canoloa (or other) oil -- enough to make it about half-inch deep. Heat to medium. You'll do about 6 blossoms at a time, depending on the size of your pan.
4. Dip and roll each blossom, first with the flour, then the egg, then the parmesan
5. Place the blossoms in the oil, and fry each side until they are golden brown.
Drain some of the oil by placing the cooked blossoms on a plate with paper towel. And enjoy!
Tom Formaro is a writer, drummer, and dad. After 14 years in the San Francisco Bay Area, Formaro now lives in Des Moines with his wife and beautiful daughter. He's the son of a Sicilian immigrant and a first-generation Italian-American. His family is in the restaurant business and in high school, college, and grad school, he worked in restaurants as everything from a dishwasher to a cook. The Broken Heart Diet is largely based on Tom's kitchen experience. He has published short stories in Spoilage, Akkadian, SoMa Literary Review, and A Sexy Story. He is also the co-author of a children's book, Alfonso, the Christmas Pumpkin.
The Broken Heart Diet is largely based on Tom's kitchen experience. He has published short stories in Spoilage, Akkadian, SoMa Literary Review, and A Sexy Story. He is also the co-author of a children's book, Alfonso, the Christmas Pumpkin.
The Broken Heart Diet can be purchased on www.Amazon.com, www.BarnesAndNoble.com, and www.brokenheartdiet.com