University of Maine out-of-state ann were answered. Allah ordered the rock to split open and out came the 10 month pregnant she camel they had requested. The people were amazed. They had never seen such a great thing happen, something so wonderful. This was clear proof from the creator. Although many of Saleh’s people believed after this event most of them still denied, with arrogance.
And We sent the she-camel to Thaműd as a clear sign.
There are many accounts that explain about the camel, which in itself was a miracle from GOD due to the fact that it came out of the rock that split open. Agreement was reached between Saleh and the people that the camel should be left alone to feed from the well and that the day it fed from the well no one should draw water from that well.
28. And inform them that the water is to be shared between (her and) them. Each one's right to drink being established (by turns).
And it so happened that the day the camel drank no body used the water from the well and the day when the people came to use the water the camel did not drink from it. But , the people used the water in the well that day plus filled up for the day the camel was to drink from the well.The camel gave so much milk that all the people were able to drink from it. It is said that this is the well the camel drank out of and also on the day that the camel drank from the well no other animal drank from it. It is said too that the camel was so special that it slept where others animals had abandoned. Although people knew it was a sign from Allah and many accepted it and believed, many others were not happy due their Arrogance and obstinacy. Those that disbelieved and hated Saleh complained about the camel, that it was drinking all the water and was a threat to their animals. Their hatred of Saleh was soon turned on the camel who they wanted to kill and Saleh had suspected so he warned them:
64. "And O my people! This she-camel of Allâh is a sign to you, leave her to feed on Allâh's earth, and touch her not with evil, lest a near torment will seize you."
13. But the Messenger of Allâh [Sâlih (Saleh)] said to them: "Be cautious! Fear the evil end. That is the she-camel of Allâh! (Do not harm it) and bar it not from having its drink!"
How they planned and killed the Camel.
But they did not take heed of his warning. The men together with the help of the women plotted to kill the camel. Women tempted and seduced the men into killing the camel. It is reported that a woman from a very rich and noble family, called Saduq Daughter of Mahya offered herself to a young man called Masrai son of Mahraj on condition that he hamstrung the camel. There also was an old lady called Aniza who offered one of her daughters to another man called Qudar bin Saluf in Return for killing the camel. These young men in turn went and found 7 of their friends to help them kill the camel. These people were prepared to go to such lengths to disobey the warning of Saleh and go about with their evil plot to kill the camel.
76. Those who were arrogant said: "Verily, we disbelieve in that which you believe in."
48. And there were in the city nine men (from the sons of their chiefs), who made mischief in the land, and would not reform.
50. So they plotted a plot, and We planned a plan, while they perceived not.
As Allah said in the Quran that they planned and he too planned , what they did not know was that he was the greatest of planners.
They watched the camel carefully as it came to drink water at the well, Masarai shot it in the leg with an arrow, and it tried to escape but was unable to due to the arrow and the wound. Qudar followed it and hit it on the other leg with a sword as it fell to the ground he pierced it with a sword.
The Killers were greeted with a hero’s welcome with music and , women and poetry. After having done this they Mocked Saleh:
77. So they killed the shecamel and insolently defied the Commandment of their Lord, and said: "O Sâlih (Saleh)! Bring about your threats if you are indeed one of the Messengers (of Allâh)."
157. But they killed her, and then they became regretful.
29. But they called their comrade and he took (a sword) and killed (her).
12. When the most wicked man among them went forth (to kill the she-camel).
14. Then they denied him and they killed it.
But Saleh said to them:
65"Enjoy yourselves in your homes for three days. This is a promise (i.e. a threat) that will not be belied."
Saleh was hoping they would come to their senses in that time and repent to Allah for arrogance and for what they had done.
And due to their arrogance they challenged Saleh saying:
77"O Sâlih (Saleh)! Bring about your threats if you are indeed one of the Messengers (of Allâh)."
They asked to Saleh “why 3 days?” “Let the punishment come as quickly as possible.”
Saleh tried to reason with them ask told them not to hasten the evil instead of doing good and turning to their lord in repentance. Rather they plotted and planned to kill Saleh and his Household. However Allah saved them from the evil doers. Three days came by and the wrath of Allah followed;
158 So the torment overtook them.
Thunderbolts filled the air and earthquakes followed which destroyed all but Saleh and his followers, the believers.
66. So when Our Commandment came, We saved Sâlih (Saleh) and those who believed with him by a Mercy from Us, and from the disgrace of that Day.
67. And As-Saîhah (torment - awful cry, etc.) overtook the wrong-doers,
17. And as for Thaműd, We showed and made clear to them the Path of Truth (Islâmic Monotheism) through Our Messenger, (i.e. showed them the way of success), but they preferred blindness to guidance, so the Sâ'iqah (a destructive awful cry, torment, hit, a thunderbolt) of disgracing torment seized them, because of what they used to earn.
31. Verily, We sent against them a single Saîhah (torment - awful cry, etc.),
78. So the earthquake seized them,
Allah explains here in so many verses how he destroyed them after their arrogance. Allah also goes on to explain what happened to them after in the following verses too.
78 and they lay (dead), prostrate in their homes.
31 and they became like the dry stubble of a fold-builder.
Chapter 91 So their Lord destroyed them because of their sin, and made them equal in destruction (i.e. all grades of people, rich and poor, strong and weak, etc.)!
51. Then see how was the end of their plot! Verily! We destroyed them and their nation, all together.
52. These are their houses in utter ruin, for they did wrong. Verily, in this is indeed an Ayâh (a lesson or a sign) for people who know.
68. As if they had never lived there. No doubt!
So as we can see these people transgressed and they paid a heavy price. They were destroyed in this world and they will be doomed in the hereafter too.
There are a few lessons we can take from this story.
1. We can see how some people were/are prepared to go to such lengths to disobey GOD and to transgress. They were even prepared to Kill the sign that GOD had sent onto them rather than believe. A sign, which they themselves had requested. The women were even prepared to commit even more bigger sins by prostituting themselves and offering their daughters to men in order to perform such a crime so that they can carry on in lives of sinfulness. They were prepared to kill that prophet and his family rather than believe and repent. So Allah is not unjust, he destroyed them not for nothing. The sign they had requested was not a hint that they would have repented after knowing the truth. It was to test the prophet to see if he was who he said he was. And even after he managed to prove to them they did not repent. Allah also mentions in the Quran that he would not punish a nation without first sending a Warner to them.
61 If Allah were to punish men for their wrong-doing, He would not leave, on the (earth), a single living creature: but He gives them respite for a stated Term: When their Term expires, they would not be able to delay (the punishment) for a single hour, just as they would not be able to anticipate it (for a single hour).
24. Verily We have sent thee in truth, as a bearer of glad tidings, and as a warner: and there never was a people, without a warner having lived among them (in the past).
208. And never did We destroy a township, but it had its warners
209. By way of reminder, and We have never been unjust.
2. This also proves the point that prophets are not sinners (unlike what some other faiths proclaim) and thus God accepts their prayers. Had prophet been sinners they would have been destroyed along with their people. They are special people that God sent to teach nations and guide them to the right path and they are protected by God and their prayers are accepted.
Allah preserved there mighty palaces and dwellings in the mountains in order to show the people to come, this was not discovered by Archaeologist so many metres below the earth. These were part of the mountain structures that Allah preserved but destroyed only the people.
11:68 Thaműd disbelieved in their Lord. So away with Thaműd!
So until our next encounter with the lost cities and perished nations I bid you farewell with the greetings
Peace be upon those who are righteously guided.